NFL 2022: Comeback Player of the Year Picks and Betting OddsJul 19, 2022, 11:56PM
With the 2022 NFL season fast-approaching, it's time to look at some betting odds and picks for the Comeback Player of the Year award.
After Joe Burrow won Comeback Player in 2021, the race to be crowned the NFL's best bounce back story looks like a fun betting market once again this season.
The betting favorite right now is Derrick Henry of the Titans, with Jameis Winston and Christian McCaffrey listed next.
NFL Odds: 2022 Comeback Player
- +400: Derrick Henry
- +550: Jameis Winston
- +750: Christian McCaffrey
- +800: Michael Thomas, Daniel Jones
- +1200: Baker Mayfield, Mitchell Trubisky, Deshaun Watson
- +1400: Chase Young, JK Dobbins
- +1600: Marcus Mariota
- +2500: Allen Robinson, Travis Ettiene, Juju Smith-Schuster, Cam Akers
- +3000: Danielle Hunter
- +4000: Chris Godwin, Drew Lock, Khalil Mack
Let's get into our best bets for the NFL Comeback Player ⬇️
NFL Picks: 2022 Comeback Player
Top Pick - Jameis Winston
We're looking beyond the favorite for this one and taking Saints QB Jameis Winston to be the Comeback Player of the Year for 2022, and here's why:
- The last four (and 10 of the last 14) AP Comeback Players of the Year have been quarterbacks
- Winston will be coming back from a mid-season injury, and is slated to start at QB from Week 1 of the 2022 NFL season
- His last full season of starting saw him throw for 5,109 yards and 33 TDs
- Winston had thrown for 14 TDs and just three INTs before his injury last season
- He will have the also-returning Michael Thomas and new signing Jarvis Landry to throw to
- Outside of the Bucs, the NFC South is looking pretty weak this season, which should mean a lot of wins for the Saints
With all of these reasons, plus a general love for Winston around the league, he is our top pick to win the Comeback Player of the Year this season.
Value Bet - Chase Young
Next up we're looking at Washington's defensive beast Chase Young to win the Comeback Player this season.
Young's first season in the pros saw him record 42 tackles and 7.5 sacks in what was an impressive start to his NFL career.
But after suffering an ACL tear in Week 10 of 2021, he's now in full recovery mode as he looks to get back to his best.
Although it's not yet known whether Young will suit up for Week 1, he should be back early on and will be determined to get back to that rookie season form.
If Young can play a big role in the Commanders getting into the playoffs, the defensive highlight machine will be one of the most popular picks to win the award.
Dark Horse - Cam Akers
If you're looking for even more value on the Comeback Player award, then Cam Akers of the Los Angeles Rams is your man.
Akers' debut season in 2020 saw him get better as it went on, with two TDs in the playoffs making him a popular fantasy pick for 2021 with a second-year breakout very much on the cards. And then he tore his achilles before Week 1.
But after returning for the Rams' successful playoffs campaign last season, the running back looks set to take that leap this season instead.
After being forced to shuffle around the running lineup last season, coach Sean McVay will likely see Akers as his clear number one RB option in 2022.
And with opposition defenses having to focus so strongly on their air game featuring Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson and Tyler Higbee, there should be plenty of opportunities for Akers to get off the leash this season.
Last 10 NFL Comeback Players:
- 2021: Joe Burrow (Bengals)
- 2020: Alex Smith (Washington)
- 2019: Ryan Tannehill (Titans)
- 2018: Andrew Luck (Colts)
- 2017: Keenan Allen (Chargers)
- 2016: Jordy Nelson (Packers)
- 2015: Eric Berry (Chiefs)
- 2014: Rob Gronkowski (Patriots)
- 2013: Phillip Rivers (Chargers)
- 2012: Peyton Manning (Broncos)